Sunday, August 29, 2010

Pitch Matching

What are favorite songs, game-songs, exercises, etc. that you like to use to check/teach pitch matching, and/or high voice?

A couple that I have used so far this year that have worked well are:
  • The "Arioso Chair"--a fancily decorated, "magical" chair that when you sit in it, you can only sing. My pre-k/kindergarten class ate it up.
  • "Oh my, no more pie"-- a long song with lots of words that works well for echoing.  It just repeats Mi-Do-La,  over and over.
  • And the classic "Yoo-hoo, Molly" on sol-mi.

I'd like to hear your favorites. :)

3 comments:

  1. From Sue Bowcock:

    Toaster Oven
    "Kate, Pop Up!" On S-M-S, and Kate pops up like a piece of toast and answers, "I Pop Up!" On S-M-S. Can use for roll call, learning names, etc. Can also call for girls, boys, to pop up, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to go dig out my Feierabend book of vocal exploration--it's a great resource. One that my pre-k-ers liked was reciting "Little Miss Muffet" in a high, open-mouthed, sing-song voice. After the spider sits down beside her, she can run away with a big "eeeeeee!" siren.

    I also liked having a special finger puppet, prop, or "magic wand" for drawing vocal lines in the air, either having the whole class follow, or giving individuals a chance to "paint" the line themselves.

    LOVE the arioso chair. I should have one of those for my voice studio. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also use "Pop Up!" Liz Shepley always did it with candy in church choir... don't you miss being aloud to give out candy?

    I also do a cuckoo bird game with lots of different questions. It goes:

    T: "Cuckoo, how are you" (all on s-m)
    S: "I am fine"
    T: "Do you sing?"
    S: "Yes I do"
    T: Could be any question. I use "What's your favorite color, sport, movie, tv show, game, ice cream flavor, thing to do in fall/winter/spring, etc." They love it... and of COURSE I use my magic microphone (the plastic "echo-ing" kind that are really cheap) or a bean bag or ball! they love it!

    ReplyDelete