Friday, November 26, 2010

Budget!

I don't really know how budget works at a normal school.  I don't have a budget here, but can just ask for things and hope that I can get them.  So, I have a list of things that I'm going to ask for, due pretty soon, for my General Music classroom (grades K-6). Let me give you a brief rundown of the resources I have in my room, and maybe you can help me by suggesting things I should get.

I have:
a piano
a set of Orff instruments (2 bass, 6 alto/tenor, 4 glocks)
a few random percussion instruments (agogo, tambourines, hand drums, triangles, stupid gourd cabasa things)
about 10-12 big djembe and double headed African drums, in pretty beat up shape, but still fine.
a bunch of chairs
a bunch of floor pillows
a projector and screen (new as of a few weeks ago!!!)
a white board (not a fancy one... just the dry erase kind)
a set of boomwhackers
a set of fairly current textbooks for all grades K-8
more than a classroom set of soprano recorders
random resource books, but nothing very current or legal copies...
access to lots of choral music scores



That's about it.  Top of my list so far is:
rhythm sticks
woodblocks
what other simple percussion would you want?

They said I could dream, so I'm also asking for a smartboard and a doc-cam.
What important resource books, instruments, furniture, posters, would you ask for if you could?
(Nicole, help me out here!)

3 comments:

  1. That's so exciting! I'll think about it...I'm doing lots of dreaming here too, maybe we can talk about it WHILE YOU'RE HOME!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. KATE - another question...I've been trying to add songs to those databases, but can't. Any thoughts? I've got lots to put on there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. First off, I have a SMARTBoard and LOVE it!!!

    I love having a variety of hand percussion - hand drums, woodblocks, cowbells, rhythm sticks, triangles, egg shakers, etc.

    Also, I have a class set of stduent dry erase boardsm (markers, and felt for erasers) that I use a LOT for in-class assessment (formative, cumulative, practicing, everything!). You can get a big sheet of "tile board" or "shower board" at HomeDepot for about $15-20 bucks. My school has a set with staff lines on them from a vendor (maybe west music? maybe "the whiteboard people?") and I use both the half with a staff and the half that is blank fairly often.

    -SL

    ReplyDelete